Nothing like starting off a Sconnie Scoop with the report that a team is ranked nationally, right? Well, that's exactly what happened to the Badger Women's Soccer team today as they came in at No. 20 in the 2nd NSCAA poll released today.
Speaking of the Women's soccer team... We'll have a special interview with Women's soccer head coach Paula Wilkins on tonight's Badgers Power Hour airing LIVE at 8:30pmCT, so make sure you tune in LIVE for that interview and of course a ton of Badger football talk.
Last soccer related bit of information: The Badgers Men's soccer team was predicited to finish 6th in the Big Ten coaches poll released today.
more links after the jump...
Of course football is the topic on the minds of most Badgers fans and there was this little thing called a QB battle that ended (at least for week 1) with Danny O'Brien being named the starter. Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says O'Brien was the accurate choice.
We'll be talking about the depth chart tonight on BPH as well, but just because there was a depth chart released doesn't mean there isn't a battle still ragging on on the offensive line.
Schedules and just about everything else has been analyzed to death at this point, but Brian Bennet the Big Ten blogger at ESPN manages to find something new to look into... Ranking the Bye Weeks in the conference (no seriously, he really did that). It's an interesting angle for sure.
We're giving ourselves a little pat on the back here because apparently the fine folks that work for the Gophers athletic communications department and write for their official website mistook our article about their "7th National Championship" as us paying attention to them, when it was really all about pointing out their desperation to claim some sort of positive news, even if what they claim isn't recognized by the NCAA at this point in time.
They really must be envyous of what's happening down in Madison, otherwise what are they doing reading our little Badger blog, right?
Finally, it's nearly football season and with that we thought we'd come up with five awesome gifts or things you should add to your Badger collection from our friends and partners over at Game Day Goods:
- Seriously, why not show your support while sporting your iPad around the nation?
- If you don't have this already you really should get on this, it's kinda a staple of tailgating these days and can become interesting if a few libations are bet on (coming from experience, lol).
- You need a place to put your tailgating goods... or play beer pong on, your choice. This is a great way to show some Bucky spirit while being practical at the same time.
- Spruce up that home pool table with some awesome Badger billiard balls. Only thing that would be better was putting them with Gopher ones so we could whack the crap out of them year round, right?
- Hey, we can't be leaving the lady Badger fans out of the loop here. What better way to accessorize your Badger outfit or show a small token of your love for your Badger loving wife/girlfriend than with a nice Badger necklace?
Don't forget you can get all of this at GameDay Goods and if you use the code "MadTown" you'll get 10% off of the total order.